When I need to go to "my happy place"... I really go there!

When I need to go to "my happy place"... I really go there!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hiatus Interrupted

It's been a while; not that it's been that long or that I stopped writing or thinking about things to write. I just have been on something akin to a blogging hiatus. As we all know, things happen. In my case it was primarily two things that happened: one good and one not so good. The first thing, which was and is exceedingly good, was the birth of our first grandchild, Edward Riley Tompkins, in May. Silly almost how something for which I can take very little credit, if any, can be the source of great pride and joy. Maybe that's the grace of it all.

The second thing that happened resulted in our leaving the church I had served for four years and move to another church and community. That's what happens to Methodist preachers from time to time. Often it's time to move or there's a good reason for it to happen. Sometimes the logic is less clear. However, as a full time hospital chaplain, I supply smaller churches part time and serve at the pleasure and discretion of the bishop and her cabinet. Without re-hashing all the nuances of what happened, I have spent the past few months packing, saying goodbye, moving, unpacking, saying hello all during one of the hottest and most humid summers I can ever remember. None of what happened reflects poorly on my new congregation. They are lovely folks and I'm honored to serve as their pastor. But the transition to a new church and community does explain partially the hiatus I allowed myself.

So now that I have once again picked up the metaphorical blogging pen, what next? Well, I expect occasional bursts of grandfatherly prerogatives with cute pictures and whimsical anecdotes so consider yourself forewarned although I will attempt not to abuse the privilege.

I will probably give in, now and then, to my semi-obsessive affection for the elegant and intuitive devices made by Apple as I have added an iPad and iPhone to my long standing solitary iMac. I expect a tidbit now and then from a recent sermon or a reflection after a long night at the hospital will find their way here. But I imagine more will come from thoughts elicited from those coveted occasions of being outside on the river, at the lake, in the mountains, on the beach, sitting around a campfire with a tin cup in hand, always in awe and newly surprised by the beauty and wonder of it all.

"Ite in pace, ad Deum laudandum et serviendum ei"

No comments:

Post a Comment