When I need to go to "my happy place"... I really go there!

When I need to go to "my happy place"... I really go there!

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Last Thing I'll Ever Write About John Edwards by Ken Rudin

I liked John Edwards; voted for him in the SC Presidential primaries; ate lunch with him, Danny Glover and 200 of his closest political allies in a crowded restaurant in Florence, SC. But I'm done; have been. Voltaire famously declared, “God forgives because it’s his business.” Yet Edwards has so lowered the bar that it's hard to find any room for forgiveness. Here's what Ken Rudin wrote:

The Last Thing I'll Ever Write About John Edwards
4:02 pm January 21, 2010
NPR Political Junkie Ken Rudin

I'm usually of two minds when it comes to the "sex scandals" of politicians, especially when it comes to this blog.

My immediate gut feeling is that it's nobody's business. Yes, it's often despicable and yes, it says a lot about character. But ultimately it's not the kind of stuff that should be paraded on the front page of newspapers, or on TV, or here. It's something for families to deal with. I feel that way about Tiger Woods as well. So he wasn't the guy we thought he was. So what.

Then there are the gray areas. A senator is arrested in a sting operation. A governor disappears for five days without telling anyone. Public funds are used. Blackmail is involved. Then it becomes less about sex and more about the law, the public's right to know, or not doing the job voters elected them to do.

There's another gray area: the issue of so-called "hypocrisy."

The rest of this sad commentary is at http://www.npr.org/blogs/politicaljunkie/2010/01/the_last_thing_well_ever_write.html

1 comment: