When I need to go to "my happy place"... I really go there!

When I need to go to "my happy place"... I really go there!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Today's sermon

My sermon today was entitled "Life's Persistent Questions", with thanks to Guy Noir, private eye on Prairie Home Companion. It was an attempt to respond to the persistent question of why God "allows" or "causes" or "sends" disasters, tragedies, pain and suffering. I broke no new theological ground but attempted to affirm God's presence in the midst of tragedy and suffering as well as admit there is a mysterious element to God's presence and activity in our world. In other words, there's no ultimately satisfactory answer to the "why" question. It probably is not even the right question, but it's the one that invariably pops up. And sometimes, in asking questions, we discover some truth about ourselves and God.

I occasionally feel like Kierkegaard who wrote that many great minds of his century had given themselves to making people's lives easier by inventing labor-saving machines and devices. He said that he would dedicate himself to making people's lives more difficult. He would become a preacher.

Sometimes life is just hard, challenging and difficult. I believe our God cares greatly and deeply about what happens to us, is present in and among us, and uses us to embrace, share and love others who are suffering. More can be said but at least that's one hook on which I can hang my hat.

2 comments:

  1. That's neat about working Guy Noir into a sermon and then quoting Kierkegaard in the same post. I'll bet you and David could have some fascinating conversations I'd love to hear. It would be a bit like old times, but now you two have much more material, education, and experience from which to draw.

    I got distracted and intended to say that the questions asked tell so much about people. This was a timely sermon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. At least my master's thesis on Kierkegaard has some usefulness!!

    ReplyDelete