When I need to go to "my happy place"... I really go there!

When I need to go to "my happy place"... I really go there!

Friday, January 22, 2010

Why Another Blog...?

Perhaps it has to do with working at nights. My wife thinks I over-process things (though she would never use those words). Maybe I am overly curious. I wonder a lot about why people do and say the things they do, and conversely the things they don't do and don't say. I was taught in divinity school that all truth is God's truth. So I guess I figured I always have a lot more to learn.

I am married to my high school sweetheart. We have two beautiful daughters, one son-in-law, one boyfriend, and two spoiled rescue dogs (down from the original menagerie of three (different) dogs, a cat, parakeet, and ferret). I have been blessed in more ways than I can enumerate or express.

I am a United Methodist clergy, a staff chaplain at the Medical University of South Carolina, a supply pastor for a small but active local congregation, a person constantly surrounded and involved in the often messy aspects of people's lives who longs for the solitude and serenity of being on or near the lake, in the forest or mountains, standing in a river trying to fool a fish into biting a lure that really doesn't look like a bug.

I hope you find some things here that interest you or cause you to stop and think if only for a moment or sends you off in your own direction. I used to call myself one of the last yellow dog Democrats (this is SC) but now I think I'm just more of an old yellow dog, scratching this, sniffing at that, and growling a little now and then. I still believe my heart is "slightly left of center" but no longer believe politicians have the wherewithal to serve the public good; they seem to all start out wanting to do good but end up doing well (which is certainly true of preachers). As my old camp counselor and preacher Brother Jim Grigsby said: "Money makes liars of us all." He never served a tall steepled church but he sure was a wise man.

If you've taken the time to read this, thanks.
Peace and blessings.
Reggie

No comments:

Post a Comment